Thursday

December 4, 2008 #055 - Used Book Stores

As my wife and I have traveled around the back country roads of America, we try to find the old used books stores that each small town seems to have. The next best place to find old books is at the small town library book sales. Many times this is in a basement room, where the treasures that no one reads anymore are offered to help support that library.

I love to look for books which cover my hobbies, astronomy and telescopes, kayaking, outdoor activities, and tons of other subjects. I have been a voracious reader all of my life. If I could I would have rooms full of books. Fortunately my wife tries to keep the brakes on me. She has the same likes but does not collect like I do. She reads and moves on, I tend to read and keep. Giving up a good book is like pulling teeth for me.

Not too long ago I found a complete, almost unused, bound set of Burnham's Celestial Handbook, Vol 1 thru 3 in a small town used book store. Now I realize that I had a paperback set, and that they were published in 66 and revised in 78, and so are a little long in the tooth. But, who in their right mind could pass this up for $15. I even ask the proprietor twice if that wasn't the per book price. "No" he said "For the set", gasp! Now, all my wife needs to do is figure out how to get me to part with the other set!

Clear Sky - Rich

No comments: