Monday

October 18, 2010 #089 - Satellite of Venus

One of the historical, observational anomalies, that has fascinated me since I was a young lad is the sighting of a moon orbiting Venus. We know now that there is no such beast, but that was not always true. This debate continued through the 18th and 19th centuries. In my recent searches through Google Books, I have turned up an in depth article in one of the most prestigious scientific journals - "Nature". Granted this is in the June 19, and July 7, 1876 issue, but from reading this information it strikes me that this publication has never lowered it's standards. The article is by none other than T.W. Webb, well known from his Observational Guides, still popular today. I gained a lot of enjoyable history from this paper and I hope you will enjoy reading it.

(Click on the individual page to enlarge it for reading)






Clear Sky - Rich

No comments: