Monday

December 8, 2008 #058 - 2001 A Space Odyssey

The mid-western sky has been very cloudy and lake effect snow continues to make sky watching problematical in the early winter. As the Great Lakes cool down later, we can have very cold clear skies at mid-winter. As a result my outdoor observation time is scarce. So, I have been going through and listening to my music collection as I spend more time indoors.

If you are like me you purchase CD's, play them over and over for a time, then put them away to be rediscovered again at a later date. As I was preparing the last two blog entries, I came across one that I had forgotten for a few years. Everyone has probably seen the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey" by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke. The sound track is one of the most memorable from my boyhood movie trips. I remember my father taking me to see it at the theater. I was one of those who came out with my eyes glazed and jaw dropping. The effect lasted for several days.

I am not sure how well known this information is, but I doubt many know that the actual music soundtrack was the second written for the movie. Composer Alex North wrote the original score, but it was never used. If you would like to hear it, the CD was released in 1993 by Varese Sarabande Records as "2001 The Legendary Original Score", performed by Jerry Goldsmith and The National Philharmonic Orchestra. The CD is #VSD-5400. It is still available on the net.


Clear Sky - Rich

No comments: