Wednesday

November 10, 2010 #112 – Finding the Vernal and Autumnal Equinox.

Tonight I was browsing an 1897 book entitled, “A New Astronomy” , by David P. Todd. I admire a lot of the old drawings and illustrations from the period and have a habit of clipping the ones that strike my fancy. Sort of like the scrapbooks from my younger days.

This is the Front Plate, a solar eclipse painting, which looks as if it takes place in Holland. I think it is striking. It’s claimed to be close to the real color observed. No date was given for the event. (Click to enlarge)

2010-11-09_192105
I also found a couple of drawings illustrating how to locate the Vernal and Autumnal Equinoxes. These charts illustrate using two star patterns I have not seen in any modern texts.

001002003
Clear Sky - Rich

No comments: