Thursday

November 11, 2010 #113 – Origin of the Telescope

While searching for some new bits of astronomical history, Google Books hit upon a series of books published in the early 1820’s. These digitized  volumes, “The Percy Anecdotes” were written by Sholto and Renben Percy, Brothers of the Benedictine Monastery, Mont Benger. I did a little detective work and found that they were actually Joseph Clinton Robertson and Thomas Byerley, newspaper men.

The anecdotes were compiled from British newspaper files and written for public enjoyment. These works were very popular at the time. As I began reading a chapter on science I found that there is a lot of good historical information. Many things I read were new to me. I will include a few articles over a couple of days on astronomical and optical history. (Click to enlarge)

010203
Clear Sky -Rich

No comments: